Saturday

12 Weeks for 2012!

So y'all, to kick off 2012 I thought I'd do something really fun.  So for the next 12 weeks, I'll be posting a book review.  Each week, I will read a brand new book from 2012!  I will announce which book I will be reading and reviewing on Mondays, followed by a review on Saturday at the latest.  The books I pick will be new YA/MG releases from 2012.  I will also be doing 2012 Debut Author challenge over at The Story Siren throughout the year.  It's gonna be a ton of fun and fabulousness!  Alright 'nuff about that cool stuff.
  I just wanted to give y'all some book recommendations.  I read these 2011 debut novels over the winter holidays and I HIGHLY recommend them.  Like seriously, If you haven't read them, the sequels are all coming in 2012,so you should totally go buy them right now.  That's how fab they are.  Ok, I'll shut up and give you my highest recommendations that you pick up...

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Pages: 398

Series: Across the Universe, Book 1

Summary (from Goodreads): Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

This is an awesome book it's a whole new take on Sci-Fi.  The first chapter is one of the best I've ever read (and I've read a lot.)  I like that it's also told from Elder's perspective as well as Amy's.  The minor characters are very well developed, and that's something that sometimes debut novels lack.  This book was fabHonestly, I am on the edge of my seat in anticipation for A Million Suns (Book 2, coming January 10, 2012).



Divergent by Veronica Roth


Pages: 487

Series: Divergent, Book 1

Summary (from Goodreads): In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. 

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

Holy crap, this book is amazing.  I can't believe I didn't read it sooner.  This book is a dystopian YA (I've been reading lots of those lately) and honestly, it totally outshines the Hunger Games.  Yes, I'm serious.  Thats how freaking fantastic it was.  Right now all I'm thinking is "I want Insurgent, now!!" But alas, we must wait until May 1st (Look to the sidebar for a countdown! And notice, same release day as Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready!! :) )  And, just to clear it up (this is what I though) Divergent is not a rip off of the Hunger Games.  It's not even that similar (besides the whole dystopian, post-apocalypse thing.)  Every page of this novel shines and leaves you wanting more.


Legend by Marie Lu

Pages: 305

Series: Legend, Book 1

Summary (from Goodreads): What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

This book was a fairly quick read for me, but it didn't detract from the intense action and drama.  This is a great book, and was, like Across the Universe, told from two perspectives.  One of the reasons I thoroughly loved this book was because it was inspired by Les Misérables, one of my favorite shows ever (and I love theatre!)  I loved seeing June and Day's intense relationship change through the novel.  Though it was a tad on the short side for my taste, it had all the necessary suspense, action, and of course, romance to make a book really sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment